Episode 77: Protecting Your Loved Ones Through Financial Planning, with Simon Marples
This phrase pretty much sums up Simon.
In search of a new career, at the ripe age of 19, full of ambition, hope and enthusiasm, Simon headed to Calgary, where business was booming. Within a month he was hired by a national insurance company.
Three years later, his self-employed father passed away suddenly and unexpectedly, without a strategy, a plan or insurance for his wife and 12 children. It was extremely tough for his mother. He watched her lose their dream home, and when she was about to move into a mobile home for the rest of her life, Simon stepped in. He moved back to the coast and his mom lived with Simon and his family for many years until she passed away in her 80’s. Simon has seen first-hand the results caused without pre-planning. He has made it his life’s mission to help business owners protect themselves and their families and enhance their overall success. This is where his aspiration comes from.
Simon is a realist with an unshakable positive outlook on life. He’s a sponge for learning valuable information and is compelled to share it. He’s driven to illustrate to clients that by implementing some simple yet extremely effective strategies that can be used the right way, they can protect their family and greatly enhance their wealth.
Simon and his family have adopted a fit-for-life mindset by making healthy lifestyle choices, staying active and is on track to run 1,000 km this year. Simon’s extracurricular activities also include tennis, squash, biking, golfing, swimming, bocce and in the evenings he loves the social aspects of playing cards and board games. When not out and about strolling the beaches of White Rock on summer weekends with his wife Sande and sons, Trevor and Brodie, Simon can be found grilling at the BBQ.
Simon’s in-depth understanding of how business owners can drive wealth by structuring themselves correctly really sets him apart. He sees nothing but a bright future and believes that if we are well informed, we’ll make wiser and healthier choices to enhance all areas of our lives.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- How Simon’s work as a corporate wealth advisor for CanTrust Financial Services is focused on reducing expenses and creating wealth
- Why Simon directed his career focus toward wealth-building due to a devastating personal family loss
- Why the Canadian “disposition of death” tax needs to be prepared for with insurance and estate planning
- How a corporate tax structure can help your family avoid a crushing tax bill after your death
- Why Simon believes that insurance is an asset rather than a liability, and why the benefits far outweigh the cost
- Why it’s important to take care of your insurance needs while you’re healthy, before you need to rely on insurance
- Why the business profits you keep, after taxes, are far more important than the money you make
- Why it’s never too early to start your financial and estate planning, and what steps to take to get started
- How to reach out to Simon with questions or to get his assistance with your financial planning needs
- How to get more information and register for Colin Sprake’s upcoming speaking engagements and events