Episode 75: Finding Heaven on Earth, with Martin Rutte
Martin Rutte is a dynamic international speaker and consultant, is president of Livelihood, a management consulting firm, in Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA. The company’s areas of service include: strategic vision, corporate spirit, performance management, facilitated dialogue, and creative leadership.
He is co-author of The New York Times Business Bestseller, Chicken Soup for the Soul at Work, translated into over 20 languages, with sales over 1.1 million copies. For over 15 years he has been exploring people’s vision for the kind of world they deeply long for – Project Heaven on Earth. He has contributed chapters on Heaven on Earth in: How to Achieve A Heaven on Earth, Seeking the Sacred, and Glimpses of Heaven on Earth. His new book on this subject: Project Heaven on Earth: The 3 simple questions that will help you change the world … easily has just been published. He sees Heaven on Earth as the new story of what it means to be a human and what it means to be Humanity.
Martin has worked with many corporations assisting them to expand their outlook and position themselves for the future. In the US he has worked with: Sony Pictures Entertainment, Southern California Edison, Virgin Records, Apple Computer and Marion Merrell Dow. In Canada, he has worked with Esso Petroleum, London Life Insurance and Labatt Breweries.
He was the first Canadian to address the Corporate Leadership & Ethics Forum of The Harvard Business School returning for four consecutive years as keynote speaker. He has also twice addressed joint meetings of the American and Canadian Chambers of Commerce in Hong Kong.
Martin’s pioneering work on spirituality in the workplace was featured in an address he gave to The World Bank which was shown in part on the ABC-TV special, Creativity: Touching the Divine. He was a keynote speaker at all six international conferences on spirituality in business in Mexico. Martin was also co-founder and Chair of the Board of the Centre for Spirituality and the Workplace, Sobey School of Business, Saint Mary’s University, Halifax, Canada.
He has given talks and workshops globally in: Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, New Zealand, Britain, Spain, The Netherlands, Sweden, Germany & the U.S. Articles on his innovative work have appeared in: The New York Times, The Miami Herald, The Wall Street Journal, South China Morning Post, Personnel Journal, US News and World Report, The Toronto Star and The Boston Globe.
Martin has served as a board member of Money Concepts Canada, Global Family, The Hunger Project Canada, and as a committee member of The Canadian Cancer Society. Martin is also a member of The Transformational Leadership Council and was a recipient of the ‘Excellence in Leadership’ award. He has been happily married to Maida for over 45 years.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why Martin is on a purposeful mission to help you find and create your own “heaven on earth”
- What three questions you can ask yourself to determine what your heaven on earth looks like and how to access it
- How Martin turned those three questions into seven gateways that people can use to access their heaven on earth
- How Martin’s heaven on earth philosophy came to be, and why he was scared to share it at first
- Why it’s easy to be scared of being judged, and why you should overcome that fear and step into your greatness
- What heaven on earth looks like in the world of business, and how calmness is one of the keys to finding it
- Martin shares how businesses of various sizes have worked to create their own heaven on earth
- Examples of how businesses and organizations around the world have incorporated Martin’s heaven on earth philosophy into their work
- Why the key to finding and creating heaven on earth lies in identifying something simple you can do
- Why Martin wants to make the concept of “heaven on earth” a normal part of everyday conversations